Quiet Places



I started this song in June of 1997, when my son had barely turned two. He and I were talking about 1 Kings 19 a week or two ago, as he was sharing some verses with me he had recently read in that passage. We talked about situations Kim and I had been through relating to it, and how the passage also related to things in his own life and what God had taken his wife and him through more recently. My conversation with him and the thoughts he shared with me allowed me to finish this song after twenty-nine years of it sitting in a folder untouched. Prior to this, it was just some notes I had jotted down while in the middle of what Kim and I both consider to be the most taxing assignment God ever gave us.

I have only heard the audible voice of God one time in my life. It was in dire circumstances, and it was probably the only thing that ever could have kept me pushing through in the situation I was in at the time. It boils down to being called to stand toe to toe with evil without backing down, even when it came at astronomical personal cost and we stood alone. It took Kim and me places neither of us wanted to go, but we also would not trade it.

Neither of us grew up in circles where hearing the voice of God was talked about very much. But Jesus Himself said, "My sheep know my voice (John 10:27)." In that same chapter, He said His sheep would not follow a stranger's voice. We have two voices going on here. Since one goes toward Jesus and one does not, we felt like it was pretty important to learn to hear His voice correctly. It took us on quite a journey, with other stories for other times.

I do remember in all the times our circumstances were the loudest, God would have a sudden way of bringing peace where there should not have been any. It was almost always when we were alone and feeling like we were hiding in a cave like Elijah. This song says it more perfectly than I could say in a blog.

Click below to hear the song: