For One


Most of this song was written rather quickly in 2010, but I could not get the tag line to save my life. I tried line after line after line, and none of them felt right. Three years later, after going through a very specific process, the line fell into place, and helped me understand why I could not fill it in before. We had to walk through the circumstance first.

In the early spring of 2013, I was working diligently on the task I felt God had laid on my heart, which was to make sure I sang every song I had ever written into my phone and then store them on my computer. This song was the last song I ever did that for, because 24 hours or less after I recorded it, I had a massive stroke that has left me in a condition that doesn't let me play the piano with my right hand. Although God restored my ability to speak, singing was physically painful up until a couple of years ago. I am working on getting it back, but it is rough.

The first lines of the song that say:

 "In an hour of great desperation
As my life came apart at the seams,
 I watched the waves of life’s sea
erode the shores of my dreams,
and all hope of rescue was gone..."

basically sum up our lives when my stroke hit unexpectedly and began to rewrite everything in our world. But as the songs goes on, God showed His love and His presence even when the world seemed to be falling apart. It also sums up the task he assigned us to "do anyway," even when it made zero sense and to just be lowkey, focusing on the one person at a time He assigns to us.

To listen to the song, click below: