A Child at Heart
People are very into finding "Easter eggs" in movies and video games: things the writers/producers put in that are only noticeable for those who might take the time to look for them and figure out why they are there. Now that I am a little older, I can look back through the music God gave to me and see those things woven into it. We often sit and listen to some of these lines and say, "Whoa. Can you believe this was written years before such-and-such event? Can you believe how relevant that is for now??" And then more years would go by, and it would be an entirely different set of circumstances that would cause us to see it on an even deeper level.
I am blown away that as a young man of 24 or so, I wrote these words. Through the years God has laid it on my heart to keep my music tucked away and hidden to save for later. There were years through our 20s and 30s where we would hear sermons about Abraham and Sarah and think, "Wow, is this going to extend to our older years? For sure God would not be having this wait that long." We would hear different people here and there talk about how they felt God was going to have a time ahead where he would greatly use those in their 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, even beyond, in astounding ways. There was never a time in our younger years we wanted that to be the case, to be honest. Who wants to wait that long? As months turned to years, turned to decades, however, I realized how very foreshadowing this song would be of my life. Especially at 48 years old, when I basically died. I just kept watching myself grow older, year after year, as what I knew in my heart God had promised me seemed to fade into oblivion.
Retirement is not in God's vocabulary. If you are breathing (even if you are getting some help doing that!) God still has something for YOU to do. If it seems to hard, He will send people to help. In fact, what if your entire life has been preparation for now? Ask God for fresh eyes to see what He has for you now. Ask God for a heart that sees new chances to serve His kingdom. Then get busy doing it.
To hear this song, click below: