Master Plan


T
his song came about in the early spring of 1985. I was still in college and had written a song I wanted to record and preserve. Doing so back then took a lot more creative juggling than it does current day, but I am an out-of-the-box thinker ha, ha.

It was the hours after spring break began at the college I was attending, and the campus had already cleared out of students. I remember to this day: thousands of feet of cabling linked the auditorium father grand piano to the school radio station through the campus hallways. I thought, "Hmmmm....piano linked to recording devices. This can work." Primitive recording method intact, all I needed was a female singer to finish the duet. My co-writer, Glen, scoured the campus looking for anyone to fit that bill. Enter Ellie. Ellie was a radio station DJ that worked there with me. Glen found her with one hour to spare before her departure for the holiday. I taught Ellie the song, and we were able to record it with minutes to spare before she had to go. So, Ellie, if you're out there ... thanks! This version today would probably not exist without that one, because I would have no way to show anyone how it sounds!

Amazingly, we cassette recorded the song in one take. Technology would eventually catch up and make this process a LOT simpler, but to this day that MP3 sits on my backup drives as a cherished memory. This also happens to be the first song Kim and I ever sang together.

To listen to this song, click below: