I Will Be Still
Psalm 37:7 says
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him;
do not fret when men prosper in their ways, when they carry out wicked schemes.
One of the most difficult things to do is to remain silent in the presence of evil. Sometimes God has you speak your piece, and you do that, but often, He wants us to just be still and allow Him to fight on or behalf. I laugh about a meeting I had with one very wealthy guy eons ago who called following Jesus a crutch for weak people. First of all, maybe it was not an inaccurate assessment. In almost every way, I am very weak, and I do need a spiritual crutch. Who better to lean on that Someone who did it all perfectly, died for me, and is holding the flashlight through the flames to the safety door? Secondly, it probably is easy to mis-define "weakness" until you actually try to live what Jesus told us to live. It is nothing we have for strength. It is all Him doing it when our heart is willing to obey. It is difficult to be kind and loving to people who just---aren't. It is difficult to keep showing up when the other person turns up their nose. It is difficult to pray for people who have maligned us, betrayed us, used us ... but sometimes, that is exactly what God asks us to do. And by "sometimes," I mean "a lot, and most often." Thirdly, I think anyone who thinks they are invincible has some harsh reality ahead: maybe sooner, maybe later, but it is coming.
There are some battles you fight in life where you just need to be still and know that He is God, and trust that He has everything in His keeping. It is not easy, but it is vital.
To listen to this song, click below: