The Well
When we can, we like to add a little history or story of our experiences and thoughts with the songs we have written. I am going to begin this one with a day I flipped on the radio and heard someone I knew singing a song that hit a familiar spot with me. I realized it was a song I had actually begun with the listed writer. He took it, ran with it, the other person sang it, put it on the radio, and I was erased from the entire history of it. It turned out to be a beautiful song, and I actually had on my playlist for a long time (no, I’m not going to name it). As time went on, we heard stories of people who do some pretty shady maneuvers to get writer’s credit on the final recording. We decided that if it was even possible to be overly ethical with these kinds of things, we were going to do that.
That brings me to this one. A guy said, “Hey, I had this idea for a song. It is like … the woman at the well went to the well looking for water, but she left there with the whole well. Could you write that?” So Kim and I sat down and wrote it that afternoon. He wrote zero percent of this song, but this song would not exist without that great idea. Hence, the writing credit.
There were just a few lines we wrote that we did not like, even after we sent the song to the copyright office. We kept it tucked away all these years, because we felt it could use a few new lines. We tried at least once a year, but we could not get them to click. Just now (January, 2026), the words came together, and we were able to update/finish it.
This is our poetic version of the story of the Samaritan woman Jesus met at the well (John 4). She came to that spot for one thing and left with something of far more value.
To listen to the song, click below: