Out of My Mind
I was in my third year of a musical hiatus after writing music consistently for the 15 years prior to that. Kim and I found ourselves crisscrossing the country late night in February of 2002. We each had a parent in an ICU unit in different parts of the country, while we were in yet a third part of the US, and we were about to juggle all that entailed. It was the first time in a long time that a song popped into my head while driving. It was typical of me to start thinking of lines of a new song while driving at night when everyone else was asleep (it is frowned upon for the driver to sleep, so songwriting usually kept me alert and mentally occupied).
Isaiah 26:3 is the verse that came to mind and caused me to pen these lyrics and the play on words they contain. ( I am one who is drawn to plays on words, regardless how silly they may be.) We are instructed what to do when He says, “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” In other words, I am to get "me" out of my mind! The image I chose for this song sums up perfectly for me how I pictured the tune when I was writing it. I imagined running into two jazz/blues musicians at one of the run down gas stations in the middle of nowhere.
I hope you can share my twist of the English language and my appreciation for good blues and the folks who play it so well. Special thanks to the hum of the highways in eastern Oklahoma for keeping in tune with this song that was on my mind that night.
To listen to this song, click below: