New Promise




When I was in Bible college working through my radio major, I often gathered around the piano with other music-loving people. One day, a guy named Glen came to me with a yellow pad of paper and 75% of the words to this song jotted down. He asked if I could help him finish the song. He wanted a lot of bass, and he wanted to keep it with the music style of that time.

We went over to the piano and started banging it out, and girl who was a student there came into the room and asked what we were doing. She stayed and listened as we wrote the rest of the song and she ended up singing through it with us when we finished it. That is the music file I used to build this demo. Since the whole concept of this song was Glen's idea, I thought it would be fitting to keep the production in alignment with what he heard when he wrote the words.

This song reflects the emotional war we often experience with depression and discouragement. Life gets heavy. Things get difficult. Days begin to feel like lather, rinse, repeat. (Ever found yourself just sitting in a room, staring at a wall, processing the thought of, "How did I even get here?") God feels a million miles away and the way out often seems like a brick wall.

It is a daily battle to lay it all at Jesus's feet, accept that it is happening, and wait for Him to either send the peace or send the solution. I love how the words to this song reflect that.

To listen to this song, click below.